Save the Date: Wildwood’s Annual Benefit May 2, 2014!
By using a monthly theme approach the children at Wildwood School are being continuously challenged by specific learning goals, within the frame work of each child’s individual interests and developmental stage.
- Our environmental arts curriculum coupled with our wondrous mountain setting amidst beaver ponds, nature trails and forests of pine and willows, beg the children to explore and experience nature and animals at their doorstep.
- In order to begin to read and perform other academic tasks, the children must first gather meaning from the world and develop an awareness of concepts.
- In order to gather meaning from the world, children must have many satisfying sensory and interactive experiences-they must touch, feel, smell, hear and see. Perceptual development follows. As children interpret their sensory experiences, Their minds continue to develop and expand.
With a daily pupil – teacher ratio of 7 to1 we accomplish these goals by focusing on five basic developmental areas:
- Readiness Skills (Academic)
The program we pursue is geared toward helping children develop habits of observation and discovery, questioning, listening and problem solving. Enveloped in an environment of fun where they feel loved and respected they develop an awareness of the uniqueness of who they are and how to express their feelings. They learn that they are free to make choices and that as long as they stay within the limits of consideration for people and things, they do not always have to conform. An open-ended program like ours prepares children to utilize their intellectual and creative abilities in future learning tasks and in successfully relating to the world and their fellow individuals around them.
Wildwood Mission Statement
The mission of the Wildwood School is to create a happy, caring and nurturing preschool dedicated to environmental exploration and artistic expression.
We promote the children’s experiential learning, social interaction, and positive self-concept.
We strive to provide a meaningful first-learning experience for the children, their parents, and the staff and community.
- Children are our most precious resource and deserve to be cherished
- Children mature at their own pace and that their individualism must be respected and valued
- Children need to play and explore, while the adults act as facilitators. It is the process that counts, not the product.
- Children will find our environmental arts program engaging, fun and informative. We strive to offer a curriculum that is developmentally sound and relevant.
- In respecting teachers and the early childhood teaching profession
- Diversity and respect for all cultures and heritages should be promoted
- In protecting the beautiful environment around us, and setting an example of appreciation and care that the children can follow
- It is in the children’s best interest to have teachers, parents and the community all work together on the child’s behalf. The concept of “The Wildwood Family” is very important to us.
Our commitment to a low teacher – student ratio and a high caliber teaching staff enables us to strive for excellence in preschool education.